Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly! Rams


The Good

Jeremy Trueblood
- T-Blood was a beast today. We witnessed a growth spurt first hand in Jeremy's progress. To see that big boy get his body out there in space pulling to lead block was an awesome sight to watch. He did that on a few occasions today, and when he locked onto his target he hit him. Many times you will see big linemen get out there in space and most of the time they miss the block, but still achieve their directive because they got in the way of a would be tackler. Not today, not Jeremy, he was blowing guys up at the second level and paved the way for some huge runs. His pass protection needs work, but he did a good job in that area too today handling his men for most of the game.

Jeff Garcia - I don't know where to begin. Jeff looks like he was created in a laboratory by some mad scientist specifically designed and engineered to play in the West Coast Offense. What an uncanny knack he possesses for hanging in the pocket until a millisecond before it's time to leave. Instinctively knowing when to escape, is what has me dropping my jaw for 3 weeks now. I wasn't for or against the Garcia acquisition. I thought he could help this team this season, but saw no future beyond this season and thought that was a waste of time for I didn't think this was a playoff caliber team. It's looking like I may have been dead wrong. The offensive line is continuing to progress and gel, and Jeff's presence has this team looking like a playoff contender after 3 weeks. The offensive play calling was suspect at times, but Jeff made it work. Oh, and how about that block on Caddy's cut back?

Tanard Jackson - I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention closely to this column and has noticed that this will be 3 for 3 for Jackson making the good list. Have I fallen in love with Tanard, or do you agree he has belonged here 3 weeks in a row? Please if you read this, let me know I'm curious. Now to the game. Again Jackson was flying around making plays on defense and special teams. The opening kickoff he was a blur right off the screen forcing the returner right into Black. The guy was laying down some punishment today, coming up a plugging holes in the run game and making wide receivers pay for catching the ball next to him. I counted four times TJ made a nice play and the TV commentators gave Phillips the credit for it. At one point after a nice hard jack, the TV analyst said Phillips has been an enforcer in the run game. It was right after Tanard cranked Steven Jackson, so I'm assuming TJ should be credited for that comment. When are you buying your Tanard Jackson jersey?
Honorable Mention - Barrett Ruud, Phillip Buchannon, Cato June

The Bad

Derrick Brooks
- I'm not going to argue with the fans who can't let go of aging players who's games have clearly regressed. Early in the game, Derrick totally whiffed on 3 tackles running right by Steven Jackson within the first 5 minutes of the game. One miss he did get an arm on him(snicker). Now I will admit he did some good things today. As a defense you have to set the tone early. If Brooks makes those tackles, it probably changes the complexion of the game as far as the play calling. Instead, St. Louis stayed with the run and eventually wore down the defense, and allowed Jackson to eclipse the century mark for the first time this season. I have no problem with Derrick being a situational player, but Black has to get more time while he has Derrick there to tutor him. Oh, what's up with the late hit Derrick?

Cadillac Williams - 12 rushes for 46 yards with a 3.8 ypc avg. Those numbers aren't bad, what's bad is another fumble, only 1 reception and some pretty horrible pass blocking. He's like a pesky mosquito when the defense comes charging in. They just swat him aside, or just leap over him. At this point I could accept his weaknesses in other area if he were ripping of 4.5 yards per carry and slashing defenses like the elite back we thought we were getting. When do we push the panic button with Caddy?

The Ugly

Michael Clayton
- This is a quote of mine from a post on PewterKrew.com's fan forum earlier in the week.
"I gave up on Clayton. But watching the hit he laid on that Safety last week against the Saints has sparked a renewed sense of hope in me. I will be rooting hard for him this weekend, I hope he doesn't let me down."
Well he let me down. That pass from Garcia that literally hit him right in the numbers was inexcusable. Then he gets a chance to redeem himself, and he coughs up the ball after passing the first down marker. Let's not even talk about the piano he was carrying on his back on those end arounds. I'm sorry Mike, I love your hard nosed attitude when blocking down field, but I just can't wait around for you anymore. Time to move on.
...JJC/ABuccsFan

No comments:

Post a Comment